Double Height Side Extension
We had previously completed an existing single storey rear extension for this client. Many of our clients are existing customers which pays testament to the relationships and satisfaction out clients have with our service. The second project we undertook involved the construction of a two story side extension
The client had commissioned drawings for the project, using these our structural engineer worked to achieve the desired build in a conservation area.
Conservation areas are areas of land that have been designated as being of special architectural or historic interest.
Several of the trees on the site had protection orders, which added further complexity.
Work undertaken included:
- Ground work – drainage, waste management
- New foundations – to accommodate the presence of nearby trees (required a greater depth)
- Reinforcement of existing roof structure (double rafters)
- New chimney and fire place
- Structural alteration to existing walls enable integration into the new building work
- Steel box frames to maintain the integrity of the load bearing walls for new openings
- Block and beam floors, insulation, underfloor and sound proofing
The project added more than 30% additional floor space to the existing house.